Thursday 13 June 2013

Foster horses




There is a wonderful rescue - mostly horses rescued from slaughterhouse auctions, but other farm animals too - called Bear Valley Rescue. We got our landlord to donate pasture for the summer (thanks man!!), and we are looking after four of their foster horses. This picture shows the two young'uns, Mercy (on the left, 2 years) and Raffy (on the right, a bit older I think). There is also Reba, who is 22 years old and not fond of humans without treats, and Twenty, who is presumably about the same age as Reba (I forget). Twenty is the oldest looking and has the most mobility issues and less teeth, so he gets what the wife calls "Senior Meal Deal" every day or thereabouts. He has to be separated out to eat it though because the others are so pushy!

Here is another shot of some of the pasture, with all the horses shown, as well as the old barn that we see out the kitchen (front of house) window every day, which is so beautiful:

I'm learning slowly about how to be around horses, because I don't have much experience being around them (similar to the chickens!). The difference is, the horses could kill me whereas Neil the rooster [probably] couldn't actually kill me.

But I still use a rooster stick, just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment